Everybody has their own rituals and traditions at Christmas time, whether it’s visiting friends and family, playing with the kids, going for a boxing day walk or watching the Queen’s Speech. Grew up in the ’80s, it was traditional for the BBC and ITV to purchase a big-name, epic film and show it on Christmas Day. I remember watching Raiders Of The Lost Ark this way, not to mention the annual Bond movie. This was back in the day when it took years for new films to come out on VHS so it was very exciting to have the cinema in your front room.
There’s been a good number of blockbusters since then and they are all available at the touch of a button. Some of my favourites are the Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Potentially the main reason I like movies during the holidays is that it gives us a chance to forget the rest of the world, the stresses of work etc.
However, Advent is a time when we should reflect on, not ignore what’s going on in our lives. 20 Questions to reflect on the last year;
- What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
- What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
- What was an unexpected joy this past year?
- What was an unexpected obstacle?
- Pick three words to describe this past year.
- Pick three words your partner would use to describe your year—don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you.
- Pick three words your partner would use to describe their year—again, without asking.
- What were the best books you read this year?
- Who were your most valuable relationships with?
- What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
- In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
- In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
- In what way(s) did you grow physically?
- In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
- What was the best way you used your time this past year?
- What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
- Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year for you.